Recently we went for a visit to Jeannette's house. It was me, Danielle and since Isaiah was having his surgery, we took Kalea with us so he could rest after it and she could get in some more cousin' lovin' before they leave.
On one of the evenings there we went to a swim party for a little friend of Brenley's. All the kids had a blast in the pool. Kalea, bless her little heart, found that she could stand in the shallow end without hanging onto the edge. They also had a floatie that I had put her in, but being a brave kid, in the couple minutes that I took my eyes off her, she slipped out of the floatie and started walking away from the edge of the pool. When I looked back and found her, she was standing about the middle of the shallow end just about where it was starting to angle down with the water lapping at her mouth and nose. She stared at me and I could see that she was beyond where she could really walk back and panic was starting to appear in her eyes. . .
. . .so Grandma did the only thing she could think of. . . kicked off her shoes and jumped in! I got Kalea back to the edge, she put the floatie back on and away she went. Grandma climbs out of the pool and someone says "Is that your cell phone?" It wasn't just my cell phone, it was also my digital camera. Good thing is, both seem to work but need new batteries. (Can I blog sans pictures?!?)
Amazing how instinct takes over. It's been more years than I want to think of since I took lifesaving classes, but when I went to jump in, I realized I used the jump they teach you, without thinking about it.
So all's well that ends well. Kalea still loves swimming and the water, and I think the price of two batteries well worth the price of a precious granddaughter!
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nice job Sheila!!
I hear they're looking for lifeguards at Carpinteria Beach.
Time to put in your application!
Post a Comment